Random Take Offs

Monday, February 12, 2007

Log rant

For one of my modules, I am "required" to write a reflective log after each workshop, detailing what I liked or didn't like about that session. The whole set of logs for the year is worth 10% of my grade. On the face of it, this might seem like a perfectly acceptable part of learning, but I must further inform you that we have the choice of keeping our logs confidential.

At the end of the last term, we had to submit all our logs, as well as one "end of term" log. I decided to just send the end of term one because I think the whole idea is rubbish. What is the point of asking me to fill in a form that has "What did I feel good about in this workshop?" and "What did I not feel so good about in this workshop?" when you've already told me that the logs may be confidential? I know they're part of the module, but the whole point of doing a module where there are few rules is to encourage the mind to roam - to think of new and creative ways to learn. As long as methods are effective, nobody actually cares. I'm learning. You can see it through my work and performance in class. I don't feel the need (or want) to tell you through some 'one template for all' method, leave me alone.

My lecturer approached Kevin, Dr Phil and myself when she was returning the end of term logs to everyone. She asked for permission to publish our logs and said that she really enjoyed reading them because it showed that different people wanted/expected/learnt different things from what was actually being taught.

well DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home